Subject: Re: [Leica] Recipe for using Xtol developer; WAS: Variant on "Food for Leicas"
From: John Brownlow <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 14:51:02 -0400

on 15/8/00 1:13 pm, Dan Honemann at ddh@home.com wrote:

> Dear Ted, Mark, Tina, Johnny and other Xtol advocates:
>
> I plan to start experimenting with Xtol now that I've learned how to process
> my own film.  I'll start with Tri-X and Delta 100 emulsions.  Can you please
> share your recipe for times, temps, agitation periods, etc. when using Xtol
> to process these films?
>
> All I know at this point is that 1:3 seems to be the right dilution.

1:3 is ideal so long as you have room in your tank! Each film needs 400 ml
of dilute developer so 5 rolls is all you can do in an 8-roll 2l tank (you
can figure out the math for other tank sizes yourself!)

1:1 is *almost* as good and I use it whenever I have more than 5 rolls to
dunk at a time. The main difference is slightly larger grain with the 1:1
(this is counterintuitive but true) plus slightly less sharpness and less
compression of tones (useful) due to compensating effect of very dilute
developer in 1:3 soup.

I use the times recommended in the kodak datasheet for everything except
Tmax films. Some people get good results at the stated times for these
films: others like me find they have to add 20-25% to get an acceptable
result. You need to run a test if you are using these films.

1:1 I agitate 7-8s each minute (a twist and three gentle inversions), with
30s at the beginning.

1:3 I agitate the same, except for the last 6 minutes or so I only agitate
once every 2 mins, sometimes only once in the last 3 mins. This is just
personal voodoo as I think it builds up shadow detail and
sharpness-enhancing edge effects but I could be totally wrong.

That's it! It's so easy it's a sin.

- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com