Subject: [Leica] What food for our Leicas
From: Gerry Walden <gerrywalden@cwcom.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 20:49:07 +0100

Over the last couple of weeks I have been pondering the films that we use
in our Leicas and wondering why we choose such a wide diversity.   For
instance, as I have now gone totally digital, I now shoot Kodak TX400CN
when I want a black and white film, and either Kodak or Fuji print and
slide film.   But why am I differentiating between monochrome, print and
slide?   Why, for example, do i just not shoot everything on print film -
after all it is all going to be scanned before I output it.   Why do I
shoot slide film at all?   Anything that goes to a possible publication is
scanned and output to disk.  Or why not just concentrate on slide film and
do all my printing from that, converting it to monochrome should I need to?

I don't know about others, but I have a psychological problem 'seeing' in
black and white when my brain knows full well that there is colour emulsion
in the camera.   Is this a common malfunction of our brains, or am I unique
in this?   I know a number of good digital monochrome workers who shoot
solely in colour now, doing the conversion on the computer with no trouble.

And I fully appreciate that if I just shoot tranny then I may have problems
with contrast if I try printing in black and white, but surely that can't
be that difficult to control (even if that involves two changes in my
brain  - positive > negative > monochrome.)

At the risk of starting major debates, does anyone else have these thoughts
and anything to add?   I, for one, am sticking with the three film types at
the moment but I am trying to get my brain used to the colour
film/monochrome print battle.

Gerry