Subject: Re: [Leica] LUG rules
From: "D Khong\" <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>"@pop1.pacific.net.sg
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 10:49:49 +0000

>B. D. Colen wrote:
>>
>> Well, a goodly number of people, myself included, seem to be puzzled about
>> this whole thing. I, for instance, don't get how you could possibly not see
>> the difference between advertising on the LUG something you are selling on
>> Ebay - in other words, something on which you will  make a profit - and
>> responding to a "do you know where I could find a..?" by saying you'd seen
>> one listed on Ebay. Example one, you are using the LUG to feed the feeding
>> frenzy. Example two, you are doing a fellow LUGer a favor by telling him or
>> her about something you yourself stumbled upon - not something YOU have for
>> sale.
>>
>> I personally think that's pretty clear.
>>
>> B. D.
>>

>John Shick then posted,
>This whole argument amused me at first but now it has become quite serious so
>I think I should voice an opinion as everyone else seems to be doing so.
>
>Leave off all the adjectives and get down and simple. We come here to talk
>about Leicas and using Leicas. Much of talking about Leicas of necessity
>involves the purchase of equipment and the necessity of selling equipment in
>order to purchase other equipment. Pretty simple stuff I think.
>
>So seems to me the controversy is really about individual member's  opinion
>about e-bay, not about the simple buying and selling of equipment per se.
>few if any complain about other forms of selling so I don't really understand
>the problem. We could, of course limit mention of e-bay items to FS
Friday, or
>request an e-bay in the subject line. This would certainly keep e-bay at bay.
>
>We are all educated people who are capable of using good judgment about where
>to buy, where to sell, what is a fair profit, what posts to read, what
>discussions to join etc. While I am neutral on the e-bay issue, I would
rather
>put up with the E word than have more limitations and restrictions of the
>general conversation. The more limitations we place on the conversation the
>more likely we are to loose interesting and knowledgable contributers. I
think
>the list is big enough for both sides of this questions to co-exist without
>too much difficulty.
>John Shick

I believe that Brian Reid, the list owner, has already posted on how this
ebay matter should be handled within the LUG. I think we should all respect
his decision and act accordingly.

Dan K.
    To detect what is false, study the truth.

Replies: Reply from "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] LUG rules)