Subject: Re: [Leica] ......... Minilux Zoom vs TVS III.......
From: "Joe Codispoti" <joecodi@thegrid.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 19:50:17 -0700

Here is a partial translation by an on-line translator:

Two noble-compact the Topklasse:  Leica mini lux zoom shot and Contax Tvs
III.  They look similar, address themselves to the same buyer category, but
give it differences in the technical configuration.  Who looks a
noble-compact up in such a way specified, no large selection has.  Only few
manufacturers dare it to build expensive cameras for comparatively small
series.  Both test cameras originate from traditional camera kameraschmieden
with probably-sounding names:  Leica (mini lux zoom shot) and Contax (Tvs
III).  These have a direct community with their two-fold zooms at least.
Leica mini lux zoom shot, which automatic already when touching one cannot
extract oneself from the fascination.  It is somewhat sharp-edged, but that
finish from solid titanium is not to compare with metalized plastic.
Although tough titanium belongs to the light metals, the Leica mini lux zoom
shot almost brings 400g on the balance.  If one opens the rear wall for
inserting the film, becomes clearly why.  Here metal prevails forwards,
where precision and stability require it.  Best camera technique with high
gloss film guidance.  The Vario Elmar zoom shot objective (1:3,5 6,5/35 70
mm) was developed in Solms.  For the focusing both an active infrared
autofocus and manual selection are available (starting from 70 cm in nine
locking positions).  The trip indicates a genuine pressure point, at the
same time can that zoom shot comfortably with the thumb infinitely variable
(!) be operated.  Not particularly largely the sucherbild, but however
brightly, is clearly and eyeglass suited.  The leuchtpunkte for sharpness
and lightning sit correctly, left from the Sucherokular.

The exposure control exclusively takes place via program automatic, which in
the middle-stresses measurement integral.  Exposure and AF measured values
stored with.  Corrections of ± 2 EV can be input (0.5 EV levels).  With the
verschlusszeiten of 1 to 1/250s associate to " B " and " T " for night
photographs (the lit LC display shows the time to 99 s). in combination with
seven lightning functions arise delightful possibilities for stand
accommodations, with which optional external lightning " CF " (code number
20 / ISO 100) become these meaningfully completed.

Exposure corrections, lightning operating modes and the " T"-function leave
themselves individually or combine to store, and are available also after
switching off again.  Besides a link for cable remote releases is available.
Together with the manual focusing the mini lux are zoom shot, although
automatically, prepared for series accommodations with identical adjustments
in the best way.

Contax Tvs III, the versatile in relation to the Leica mini lux zoom shot is
somewhat smaller the Contax Tvs III and works owing to the fine roundnesses
more elegantly.  Which was said with the comparison model about type of
housing (titanium), stability and the precision of the film guidance,
applies also here.  Impressing, and so far still with no zoom seen, the
complete absence of lateral play is in driven out Telestellung.  The
objective is protected with switched off camera with a flap, which reminds
strongly of old bellow cameras.  One, with something fantasy, can use these
even as sun visor.  It takes the Sucherfenster off in closed status also,
why " times fast by the Sucher do not look " is possible.  Is just as
impossible it logical-proves to photograph with closed cover.  The Sucher is
larger substantially than with the Leica, not quite so bright, but from
exzellenter quality.  The sucherbild is good inclusive Sucheranzeigen also
with eyeglasses to over-look, a diopter correction is inserted.  Information
about verschlusszeit, lightning readiness, AF, exposure correction (± 2 EV
in 1/3 or 1/2 EV levels) and manual focusing is inserted.

The zoom, a Vario Sonnar of Carl Zeiss, operates within the range of 30-60
mm (luminous intensity 1:3,7 6.7) in five levels and has thereby at
comparable luminous intensity a visibly larger view.  The passive
multi-autofocus will supported with few light by a AF Hilfslicht, via
individual function can to Spot AF be switched.

Displayed when manual focusing will the adjusted distance in the Sucher
roughly, on the LC display accurately, and can via individual function be
also fixed.  As used for the Contax t-series, consists the trip of an
artificial sapphire.  The trip operates almost somewhat too softly, during
the tests went off some shots too early.  The exposure control offers a
program automatic or alternatively an automatic timer with screen
preselection, the display is inserted in form of a mini LCD in the flap.

Six individual functions for personal adjustments are exclusive.  These
concern:  Rewind the film, a focusing when touching lightly the trip (for
short response time), Spot Autofokus, focal length preference with the
power-on, distance storage and exposure correction levels.

Likewise exclusively those is alternatively data recording without a special
rear wall.  The data are installation-cleared in the case of the film feed
of a LED line (the elegant principle is not new actually, it for the first
time applied with the Nikon 35 Ti).

Contact with a product brings tester driving closer first usually begins
with the operating instruction.  Therefore this is not insignificant for the
image of a label.  Leica supplies for the simple mini lux zoom shot a
110seitiges document to five languages.  Nevertheless, it offers swinging
out index pictures, is by page arranged and well illustrated.  Different
with the Contax Tvs III, there there is almost 200 pages, the languages for
each paragraph are sequentially arranged, which ausufert to the annoying
Seitensuch Marathon.

The cameras show completely different picture.  Here basically praise is
announced.  The Leica mini lux zoom shot is simple and clearly conceived,
the traditional quality seems formally seizablly, trips and zoomhebel sits
perfectly, however could the sucherbild be larger.

The Contax Tvs III is more fastidious and is situated more pleasantly in the
hand.  The trip has my opinion one too " spongelike " pressure point and is
habituation needy.  The same applies to the relatively small zoom shot keys,
which one, with which eye at the Sucher finds, not at first attempt.  The
large sucherbild and the Sucheranzeigen are exemplary.  The LCD is large,
but does not light up.

In the practice practice with identical filmmaterial (Kodak E100 VS), which
both cameras expose approximately directly, with certain motives tends the
Tvs III showed up however too more plentifully, the mini lux zoom shot to
rather limited exposure.  During the subjective evaluation of the sharpness
(all test accommodations starting from stand) it became critical, because
the quality of both objectives is situated very highly.

With the comparison with different picture angles and distances the Vario
Elmar of the Leica with the somewhat longer focal length shifted itself
easily into the foreground.  Sharpness and contrast worked, particularly
with distances starting from approximately five meters, " more knackiger ",
which probably not only the easy Unterbelichtung is to be charged.

**time-out** result the Contax Tvs III be a charming and somewhat playful
camera with a zoom shot, which more possibility for the ambitionierten user
offer, while the Leica lux zoom shot simple precision with unencumbered
automatic connect and the whole with a protrude objective crown.  Marcel
Siegenthaler

© 1999 FOTOintern 19/99