Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Vacation... lighten up
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 14:31:06 -0400

Jim Brick wrote about Mark Rabiner:

>> This is the difference between a "passion" and simply a job. A passion is
>> your life. A job is something you do to sustain a passion or life.
>>
>> Mark is extremely lucky that his passion is his job and his life.

Then Johnny Deadman chimed in with:

> Very lucky. One of the reasons I never really pursued a career as a pro was
> that my first few paying assignments just paralysed me creatively. I was too
> scared to take risks... which I guess my style has always relied on.
>
> Also I sensed the joy flooding out of it.
>
> Even now, though, when I'm really immersed in a (non-paying) project I find
> I just have to get away from cameras for a while, or everything starts to
> look like a photograph.
>
> So I write for a living now... and I don't write for pleasure, though I
> enjoy what I do very much. But it does mean that I can take exactly the
> pictures I want without worrying if anyone will ever buy them. So I
> absolutely lift a glass to anyone who can pursue all sides of the
> art/profit/pleasure equation simultaneously.

Mark and Johnny,

Very interesting to learn some of your thoughts. And this is one of the
reasons I find street photography so fascinating. Behind every picture I
take of people that I don't know and never will, there is a story. Sometimes
I will study somebody in one of street shots and wonder about that person;
where have they been, kind of work, their joys and pain, do they maybe like
or hate some of the same things as I. It is endless. With photography you
never run out of scenes. And that is perfect for my life in general because
I am naturally restless, always casting around for something new to do;
writer, feature film maker, single handed ocean sailing, formula car racing,
entrepeneur, and more. But, it seems, my constant companion through out my
life has been a 35mm camera.

Steve
Annapolis