Subject: Re: [Leica] Vacation... lighten up
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 09:45:31 -0700

><Snip>
> On vacation I take either zero or one camera. Zero if I want a real holiday.
> If I take the camera, it has two lenses. It's a holiday, right?
>
> Sometimes I want to see the world not through a viewfinder.
>
> --
> Johnny Deadman

I've had periods of my professional career where it was fast and furious all
week most weeks. I'd not want to shoot pictures on a weekend. I always wondered
if I'd ever take a vacation and be relieved to have an opportunity to get away
from photography. I don't think I have.  I still shoot plenty on a vacation and
always have. A different surrounding how can I resist? I've heard of some big
time shooters just bringing along a point and shoot to shoot their family on a
vacation. Beyond my comprehension!!

It's also rare for commercial photographers to bother with the expense and time
involved with a show in a gallery. Not the case with me either, I've pretty much
had a show in a gallery about every year of my career. I get to still think of
myself as an artist. And not a shlock artist.
So I'm still shooting for love as well as money. I'm glad it didn't turn into that.
Mark Rabiner