Subject: [Leica] RE: Re: Some ideas for a new R
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 14:24:27 -0700

The IQ thought started when Chuckie called Ted an A-Hole. Totally
inappropriate and inexcusable behavior. Then, after recognizing the camera
connection, the rest sort of fell out on its own. I figured Chuckie must be
pissed because he cannot figure out how to take a picture. So by using a
camera that does all of the thinking (all of the IQ is in the camera),
Chuckie gets pictures.

I know lots of top notch photographers that use the latest Nikon and Canon
stuff. They rarely, if ever, use the full auto setting. I also know of a
couple of "professional" photographers (used loosely in this case) who rely
entirely on the full auto capability of these cameras. Because they don't
know diddly about photography.

When my daughter got interested in photography (three years ago) she bought
an R7. She promptly put it on "P" and started taking pictures. She had no
concept of f/stop, shutter speed, DOF, film speed, or anything else. She
attended a Leica  workshop that I taught in San Francisco. A lecture
(evening), a day out photographing SFO, then a slide show of everyone's
work. She used her R7 on "P" for everything. And everyone was absolutely
amazed that her photographs were among the very best of the outing. Her eye
for composition was outstanding. "P" on the R7 means Perfect... ;-).

Then she started college, major in music and photography, and now, after
two years, has the zone system down cold, plays our computer controlled
enlarger like a piano, has had many prints in exhibits, sold photos to some
Silicon Valley companies, etc. She doesn't use "P" anymore. Actually, she
uses a Hasselblad 503CW, a Pentax spot meter, and Agfa APX 100 in D-76 1:1
most of the time. She says "to make big prints, your better off with big
originals." I agree which is why I use my Hasselblad and Linhof 4x5 for
really serious 'scape work.

I took a day off last week (32nd anniversary) and carried my Hasselblad
around Carmel rather than my M6. Pop-up finder and 80mm CFE lens. Mark
Rabiner is a bad influence!!! A 203FE and I put it on "A". I set the
aperture and the camera picked the shutter speed. I ran through two rolls
of 220 MS 100/1000 (@200) and was really pleased with the results. Auto
mode seems to be very accurate. I've never done this before. The main
problem is that the Hassy is not very stealthy. People knew when their
photo was taken. Kerchunk Kerflap (rapid return mirror). I left off the
motor winder as that would really freak out the troops. Kerchunk Kerflap
EEERRRrrrrr Kerchunk. But those big transparencies are wunderbar. Layout a
couple of rolls of 220 transparencies on a four foot long light table and
it sets you free. Then project them, and fall out of your chair!

Then, as it got dark, out came my M6's with their wonderful f/1.4 lenses.
Delta 3200 @ 1600 and Fuji 800 @ 1600.

Life is wonderful. Even, sometimes, on "P" or "A". Then it gets even better
with an M6 in the dark.

Jim