Subject: Re: [Leica] 50mm lens
From: Krechtz@aol.com
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 17:50:04 EDT

belinkoff@earthlink.net writes:

<<  I have found a Summicron - M 50mm lens for sale in near mint to mint
 > condition.  However the serial # 3501960 seems a little old to me.  Can
 > anyone tell me if this lens is in the series just before the present day
 > 50mm with the built-in hood and the approximate date of manufacture.  >>

According to Sartorius, the Summicron-M was intro'd in 1994, with built-in
hood and same glass as its immediate predecessor with separate hood, from
1979, which began with SN c.2,967,000.  I have this model, and it's a very
potent performer.  According to the Leica Pocket Book, the serial number
indicates manufacture in about 1989, I would guess.   The latest year they
show is 1987, which ended at 3455870.  Code numbers are 11819 for black and
11825 in chrome.  Technically, the lens is evidently not a Summicron-M but a
Summicron, and you might suggest to the seller that it should fetch a lower
price, if it has been advertised as the M model.

Joe Sobel

Replies: Reply from Stephen Gandy <Stephen@CameraQuest.com> ([Leica] New Olive Green M6)