Subject: Re: [Leica] "notoriously crappy" lens
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2000 13:35:26 -0700

Krechtz@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 8/5/00 3:04:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com writes:
>
> << Although the push-me-pull-you action was solid! >>
>
> >From which it may be inferred that you, Bob Schwalberg and everyone else with
> any sense, prefers the rigid Summicron, dual-range or otherwise, to the
> collapsible ("NCL").  Well, I agree.
> However, if you want or need to make a fashion statement with a collapsible,
> I say buy the coated Summitar.  Within its quite genuine but reasonable
> limitations, it is quite a pleasant lens.  It is also a real price performer,
> at about $200 for a clean example.
> If you really want to be flamboyant, mount the huge SOOPD lens hood and
> become an instant street shooter hero.  Hardly anyone will recognize the rig
> as a camera with lens.  However,  some people are scared as hell to let you
> point it in their direction, fearing the worst.  As Abraham Lincoln said, you
> cannot fool all of the people all of the time.  Modern politicians are out to
> prove him wrong.
>
> Joe Sobel

I just meant it didn't wiggle when you extended it or collapsed it.
Clicked into place nicely and stayed there.
I think collapsibility is a great asset if they can pull it off! :)
MY wife bought into with with that new 50mm Elmar! Works great!
But if collapsibility gets in the way of lens performance than that's a Big
trade off.
I recall Elliot Erwit loved his collapsible 90 Elmar!
Mark Rabiner