Subject: Re: [Leica] re split printing notes- follow up
From: "rlb" <rlb@triad.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 16:34:28 -0700

> I have kept meaning to do a follow up myself response as It was me who
> influenced Bob to get the Aristo 4500 VC cold light head in the first
place and
> we had discussed this before. I weighted in strongly in favor of test
strips
> over probes.
> But I have over the years done my share of reading about densitometry and
if one
> was placed on my doorstep I'd probably put it to some use.
> In the case of spit printing which I almost feel like a pioneer of I'd do
this
> with it:
> I'd use it to determine my time with the blue light to establish my
blacks.
> Say it gave me 12 seconds.
> Then I'd expose my whole test strip for 12 seconds with the blue light.
> Then I'd turn on the green light and move it along every 3 seconds, inch
by inch
> and then develop and look at it to determine my exposure for the green
light
> which determines the lighter tones.
> I'm not saying this to be consolatory. I think it really might be the
ideal
> viable working solution. I think I'd get the best of both worlds, The
direct
> inspection test strip world, and the densimetric "what can these numbers
do for
> me to make my life a little easier" world.
> Mark Rabiner

Thanks to Mark, "split printing" has opened up a whole new world of creative
printing for me.  Changing the mindset from averaged variable contrast
measurement to split printing was a bit of a challenge but after using and
testing for a short time I have discovered that it is actually easier.
Where Mark and I have disagreed in the past has been the use of a Beseler
Analyzer to determine correct exposure.  Dan Post has been most gracious
with his time and knowledge in programming and teaching several in our photo
group the application.  When I returned from my visit with Mark and my new
learned skill I immediately discussed split printing with our group.   Dan
loves challenges and immediately began the study of applying the Beseler
analyzer to split printing application.    Frankly it doesn't matter to me
how one comes to the correct print exposure but when one can save time and
money is part of the result I get excited.

Learning to read test strips is something that Mark is extremely good at.  I
am not.  He can "nail" a correct exposure on 1 to 2 prints.  It had been
taking me 5-6.   WIth the use of the analyzer I can consistently get it on
the second print, occasionally on the first.    When using FP 11x14 paper at
75 cents to a buck a sheet it becomes important to reduce the waste.

The one particular area that I see the advantage of split printing is in the
highlights.   It dramatically reduces the need for burning in.   The Aristo
Variable Contrast head is incredible.   I don't think that I could go back
to traditional printing.

Again, my sincere appreciation to my friend Mark Rabiner.   He is one of the
most generous people that I have ever known with his time and knowledge.

Bob Bedwell

Message from "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] re split printing notes- follow up)
Message from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] re split printing notes- follow up)