Subject: Re: [Leica] Summilux 50 bo-ke?
From: "Terence and Patricia" <terpat@magix.com.sg>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 22:39:35 +0800

Hans,

I'm not entirely sure CapsTeeth's comments on the 50'lux were based on a
1980's vintage lens. I don't have online pics published, but having used 3
different vintages of the 50'lux I find his comments sound like he has an
early lens, ser. no earlier than 1844000 which were very soft at the widest
apertures. Leica changed the optical formula after that and the second
version, which was produced up to 1995 I think, was much less 'flare-y' at
wide apertures. This second version performs very well indeed at f2, though
some feel that the Nokton is sharper when comparing both lenses at the
widest apertures. I don't have a Nokton so I can't comment. What I can
comment, though, is that the 2nd and latest 3rd version 50'lux lenses are
pretty good, definitely not soft everywhere at f2-2.8. A bonus is that
wonderful watery bokeh. I don't have a modern 50'cron to do direct
comparisons at f2 so CapsTeeth may very well be correct, but I personally
find that 1.4  pretty useful in difficult lighting.

One may argue that even the current 50'lux (with built-in shade) has an
optical formula from the 1960's and that the modern Nokton optics are indeed
decades ahead. I stand guilty as charged for enjoying the look of pictures
made by older Leica glass, namely the 5cm Elmars and the 50'cron DR as well
as the 50'lux for B&W. You might want to test this latest 50'lux for 2
reasons; that it is very similar optically to the 1980s version you were
thinking of (though I think wide open flare control is a touch better), and
that it focusses down to 0.7m (the 1st and 2nd versions focus down to 1m
only). The built-in hood is somewhat more robust than that irritating
50'cron hood and doesn't get knocked askew so easily. Also, it takes modern
E46 filters rather than those rare and expensive E43 ones.

Hope you find this useful.

Best wishes,
Terence H. M. Tan
Singapore