Subject: Re: [Leica] Dr. Strangelens, or....
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 13:39:59 -0700

"Barker, J. Madison" wrote:

> Jeez, Mark, I get the feeling the question is rhetorical, but since you ask,
> no, that's not the answer.  How about these:
>
> Because those are the only 50mm lenses I have, and I thought it'd be
> interesting to see (but live and learn, eh?)?
>
> Because I'm an ignorant newbie who had no better sense than to buy this
> "notoriously crappy" lens, foolishly relying on Stephen Gandy, who says it
> "set new performance standards" (yes, I know, he's talking about _for its
> time_), and the (LHSA-member) seller who said, "the finest ever made in
> screwmount.  This is the Leica 7 element 50/2.0 Summicron (the same lens
> formula is still made today, in bayonet mount), made with the highly
> refractive Lanthanum crown glass (making it slightly radioactive),
> permitting the highest performance ever, period.  According to Lager,
> 'noteworthy for extensive correction of all aberrations and reduction of
> vignetting to a minimum; unusually high performance'"?  But thanks for
> setting me straight; I needed another weight on my trotline anyway, and I
> suppose it'd be impossible to sell this lens at any price without committing
> fraud, right LUG?;)

A Bark from Mark!:

All probably true.
Except that in it's collapsible version it wasn't any good. Bad baffling?
And this is widely known, and I'm surprised Stephen would not know this.
Perhaps you read his thing wrong.
I got into Leica wanting to buy this lens as a first priority.
But was talked out of it widely from everyone and his mother!
I think NOW Leica should have a collapsible 50, 75 and 90.
Compactness is what the Leica system should maintain.
It's a shame they can't make a M system camera on the same scale as the Barnack
(screw mount).
or bring back the CL.
I hate to rain on you parade if I had two 50's I'd compare them and I don't'
even question the extreme casualty of you test parameters.
It's just it APPEARS stuff is happening which is not if people don't know the
collapsible was a dog. What happened your contrast was low so you went out an
got a Nokton?
Gee sure has more contrast than that stupid Leitz lens doesn't it!
I'd love to see the 50mm Summicron collapsible compared to a pre ASPH 35mm Summicron.
Or another more modern Leitz 50.
The best comparison in the context of this discussion of course would be to
compare it to it's non collapsible version.
Mark Rabiner

Replies: Reply from Stephen Gandy <Stephen@CameraQuest.com> (Re: [Leica] Dr. Strangelens, or....)