Subject: RE: [Leica] Dr. Strangelens, or....
From: "Barker, J. Madison" <Matt.Barker@KutakRock.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 14:53:18 -0500

Jeez, Mark, I get the feeling the question is rhetorical, but since you ask,
no, that's not the answer.  How about these:

Because those are the only 50mm lenses I have, and I thought it'd be
interesting to see (but live and learn, eh?)?

Because I'm an ignorant newbie who had no better sense than to buy this
"notoriously crappy" lens, foolishly relying on Stephen Gandy, who says it
"set new performance standards" (yes, I know, he's talking about _for its
time_), and the (LHSA-member) seller who said, "the finest ever made in
screwmount.  This is the Leica 7 element 50/2.0 Summicron (the same lens
formula is still made today, in bayonet mount), made with the highly
refractive Lanthanum crown glass (making it slightly radioactive),
permitting the highest performance ever, period.  According to Lager,
'noteworthy for extensive correction of all aberrations and reduction of
vignetting to a minimum; unusually high performance'"?  But thanks for
setting me straight; I needed another weight on my trotline anyway, and I
suppose it'd be impossible to sell this lens at any price without committing
fraud, right LUG?;)

Anyone else who wants to look at horrible pictures taken with a notoriously
crappy Leitz lens and a modern _consumer_ (horrors! it hardly cost
anything!) Japanese lens better hurry; it's coming down as soon as I can get
to my other computer, so as not to irritate further the Leica cognoscenti.

Matt Barker