Subject: Re: [Leica] 50mm Summilux or Summicron for M3
From: "Roger L. Bunting" <rlbunting@ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 19:35:31 -0500

Unfortunately I can't compare the two. But 25 years ago I bought a used
50mm lux. For almost 23 years it was my only Leica lens (on a M3). It
was my available light combo and I used it as a first choice and
low-light backup for all my photography. The cron may be sharper
somewhere, but I've never taken a picture with this lens that I thought
was lacking with respect to sharpness, contrast or clarity - I'm sure
those are all abstract measures but I prefer this lens to any pictures I
take with my N*. The isolation of the subject from the background at
f2/f1.4 is outstanding. I agree with the comments that it is a bargain.
I use my Leica for mostly "people" shots and if there is any improvement
in sharpness in the cron it is of little importance to my kind of
photography.

Regards,
Roger