Subject: Re: [Leica] Lens to work with M6 35mm frame lines??
From: CapsTeeth@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 19:05:56 EDT

denis.a.boisclair@lineone.net writes:

<< The dealer told me on the phone that although advertised as 'for M2/M4'
(no
 goggles mentioned) the lens would activate the camera's 35 mm frame lines.

 A  subsequent search of the LUG archives reveals that this lens will only
 bring up the 50mm frame lines!!! One posting to LUG says that early
 Summarons made between 1954 -1956 weren't around then!

 The lens will arrive in the next day or two and it looks as though I will
 have to return it.

 Can any member please advise me what  choice I have of used 35 mm lenses
 which WILL be a perfect match?

 Thanks in anticipation of being pointed in the right direction! >>

I have not seen a factory 3.5 Summaron which brought up the 35 framelines,
but if you are very careful you can shorten the frameline cam on the
lensmount so it will.   Perhaps someone has already done this (or changed the
lens mount).  I'd wait and see. However, if you can send it back, optically
better choices would be (in ascending order of cost assuming like condition)
a 2.8 Summaron, any vintage Summicron, the current Summicron-ASPH, the
current Summilux-ASPH.  I leave out the non-ASPH Summilux because I think any
Summicron at f/2 on faster film is sharper than the Summilux at f/1.4.  I
also leave out the 1st 35 Summilux ASPH because it's a high-priced collectors
item.  I own a 2.8 Summaron from the mid-60's, a late 70's Canadian
Summicron, and a new Summicron-ASPH.  Performance-wise the ASPH gets the nod,
the heavy chrome Summaron has the most panache, the pre-ASPH Summicron is
much smaller and lighter than either of the others.  Choices, choices!