Subject: Re: [Leica] Canadian streetpix
From: John Brownlow <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 09:45:55 -0400

on 1/8/00 6:44 am, Greg Locke at locke@straylight.ca wrote:

> At 09:06 AM 01/08/00 -0400, you wrote:
>
>> The joy of HT was that I could get out of bed in the morning and just decide
>> to go down to Oxford St whenever I felt like it. I haven't found the
>> equivalent here yet.
>
> Why don't you have a look at Kensington Market / Spadina Avenue area.
> It was my favorite place when I lived in Toronto.
>
> Queen street WEST for the hip, arts, music scene.

Yes, I've been to to these places and photographed on some of them but you
know I miss the scale of Oxford Street. The closest for me is Yonge between
Front St and Bay St... especially that strip north of bloor with the
electronics shops and strip joints... that's kind of interesting... or in
fact the whole length of Queen St right from the beaches over to...however
far it goes. It goes through SO many changes on the way. Queen West is a bit
like Camden in London, too many poseurs TRYING to look interesting... too
depressing to photograph, really... Just north of the film district is a bit
scary but very good for pix. But I think I'm missing something... not sure
what yet. I think it may be the length of Yonge all the way north until it's
you and the moose. It has.... zing... as an idea and also brings in
urban/non-urban landscape which I'm more and more interested in.

> The beaches is a great place to live but very limited picture potential ala
> "street photography"

Yes, the curse of the middle classes. The jazzfest, which should have been
brilliant for SP, was instead just okay. Too many people being careful what
they did in public in case someone was watching (like me!!).

Nevertheless it IS a smashing place to live. Like Santa Monica without the
humvees.

- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com