Subject: Re: [Leica] Street photography
From: John Brownlow <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 11:08:09 -0400

on 31/7/00 10:18 am, Steve LeHuray at icommag@toad.net wrote:

>> on 31/7/00 9:35 am, Steve LeHuray at icommag@toad.net wrote:
>>
>>> But Johnny, why would a publisher (no matter where they are located) publish
>>> a book with even a remote chance they may be sued?
>>
>> Because their insurers say they can!
>
> That makes sense. And I hope that it NEVER happens after all Street
> Photography is harmless. But still we are living in this crazy world. And
> with fine arts publishing being a low volume of sales, compared to other
> genres, the cost to insure a SP book may make it unattractive to the
> publisher. And, I am not making these remarks to be contentious because I
> would like to publish a book of my own street photography, so, I am in favor
> of you and anybody else who can open up the street photography book market.

Have you direct experience of this, Steve? It sounds like you may. Perhaps
this discussion belongs on the SP list, but to continue this thread for the
moment... I worked with lawyers on every film I made and I always found them
very reasonable and much more aggressive about usage etc than I as a
producer would be. It seems to me that so long as the book is not PUBLISHED
in a territory where the legal situation is dicky, that the problem then
falls into the hands of the distributor within that territory. In the case
of Quebec, it's a provincial not a federal matter. In France it's
different... so they don't get the book...their loss. I'm  not a lawyer, as
I'm sure you can tell, but if your experience is different or others can
contribute to this debate I'd like to know. Perhaps it would be better on
streetphoto, though:

    http://www.topica.com/lists/streetphoto

- --
John Brownlow