Subject: Re: Long lens support (was: Re: [Leica] WAS: Focusing a 280 F2.8??? etc.)
From: Doug Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 30 Jul 2000 11:21:51 -0700

On Sun, 30 July 2000, CapsTeeth@aol.com wrote:

<SNIP>
> The 400/2.8's and 600/4's used by a lot of career wildlife pros are
> next-to-impossible for anyone but a bodybuilder to hold steady with shoulder
> stocks.

This is why I use the 400mm f/6.8.

> I've handheld my 300/2.8 (the longest I currently own, not counting
> my Viso 400/6.8 and 500 Mirror lens) with 2X when the shot looked so good
> that it was worth a try.  At 8 fps the odds are better than even that a sharp
> frame will result.   I haven't tried out one of the new Canon IS teles yet,
> but I am curious.
>
> Doc

At 8 frames/sec I'd run out of film and have to reload before the peak action occurred.  I've had better results relying on knowing the animal's behavior and anticipating the actions I wanted instead of relying on a motor to catch the peak action.  The claims I've heard for IS are comparable to what I've done with the shoulder stock.

BTW of the wildlife photos I've sold (as display prints, and to publishers of books, magazines and calendars) only a very small percentage were made using a tripod-mounted camera.

Doug Herr
Sacramento
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!