Subject: Long lens support (was: Re: [Leica] WAS: Focusing a 280 F2.8??? etc.)
From: Doug Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 30 Jul 2000 10:20:45 -0700

On Sun, 30 July 2000, CapsTeeth@aol.com wrote:

<SNIP>

> I am not a well-published photographer, but I do belong to NANPA and I've met
> a large number of big-name well-published wildlife and nature photographers
> who use 35mm SLRs and long lenses and though they disagree about many things
> they all cite from their combined years of experience that some form of
> steady camera support is essential to obtaining the sharpest publishable
> images.   Judging by the number of monopods (and some tripods) I've seen on
> the sidelines at sports events, it looks like those pros (the other group of
> long-lens users) generally prefer some form of support for long lenses also.
>  Mirror lock-up and cable release are tools many landscape and macro
> photographers use, but few wildlife photographers find practical, as would
> seem to be the case with sports.  Most of those pros believe from experience
> that even with a support, some body contact is a help in absorbing those
> vibrations, and advocate keeping the left hand resting on the lens/tripod
> axis and the face pressed into the camera.  It could be possible for some
> individual to have such a well-developed, well-balanced neuromusculoskeletal
> system that he could handhold a long lens with no disadvantage over an
> inanimate support.

<personal reference SNIPped>

> I do wonder if
> he could maintain this supportive posture for an hour or two waiting for a
> subject to strike just the right pose.  That's what wildlife photographers
> are often faced with.

Trying to keep this thread civil...

As perhaps the LUG's most "vocal" wildlife photographer, I find it very difficult to keep a hand-held long lens poised and ready for action for hours at a time.  This is one of those times I'll consider a tripod.  Among the photos on my website (URL below) there are perhaps a half-dozen photos where I had to use a tripod.  Among the others are hand-held photos with long lenses at shutter speeds as slow as 1/60 sec., using a shoulder stock to damp the higher-frequency vibrations with my body mass.  Many of these hand-held photos are of fleeting moments where IMHO a camera & lens stuck on a tripod would be unworkably cumbersome and too unresponsive to have made the photo.

Doug Herr
Sacramento
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!