Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Re: Focusing a 280 F2.8???
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 20:05:01 -0700

Miro Jurcevic wrote:

> The physics are against you all the way. First the mirror goes clunk and
> shakes the entire casting. Then in the SLR versions, two shutter curtains
> move at hundreds of K's per hour in a fraction of a second. That's enough to
> move the camera.

Hi Miro,
I think your pulling my leg and that of others with years of experience
and extremely large blow-ups made into posters and exhibition prints,
like 30" X 40" and larger.

You're making this begin to sound like you're one of those all theory
guys and not a shooting guy with much experience.

Pardon me if I'm wrong, as no offense is intended, however my son you're
all wet with this technical nonsense. Maybe you should have a whole
bunch of practical time to learn the truth of what can be done with a
Leica M or R as opposed to what you are pushing.  Quite frankly it
doesn't wash any more than elephants can fly.

 > No matter what your human body is doing, the camera body, unless it
is M*,
> is doing a cha-cha all over the place. The difference only shows above 8' x
> 10' and then it is a seriuosly limiting factor in image size.<<<<<<<<<<<

You are now without question, speaking with absolutely no practical
experience whatsoever, or you are really trying to get a confrontation
of experience against theory going here.

> The main factors in the equation ..... (thanks to Rob)
> 1. Mirror weight
> 2. Shutter travel - vertical or horizontal
> 3. Body construction
> 4. Wind speed - a 1mm movement on the end of your lenses hood is enough to
> destroy film grain sharpness
> 5. Tripod type

Before I say anymore would mind very kindly to please explain to the
crew just what you base this drivel on from your ____ practical
experience ___ and for how long you've believed and practiced what you
are espousing?

> Some individuals have gone to the trouble of testing these variables and
> looked at the results under a microscope. It is quite evident that cheap,
> hand held bodies, with the mirror down shot on a windy day with a long lense
> make the worst possible photos.<<<<<<<<<<

But what does this crap have to do with real picture taking with Leicas
of any model in the heat of a fire fight, the roar of a crowd at the
Olympics or a Santa Claus parade?  Please get real and don't be so naive
anyone is paying any attention to what you are pushing, as it's sheer
nonsense when it comes down to every day working photographers. Or
amateurs or everyday fun folks taking pictures.

> I used to think that the sound of some cameras was impressive, now I realise
> that the sound comes from bits of metal violently colliding into each other.<<<<<<<<<

And are you sure your head at sometime didn't inadvertently violently
collide with a piece of metal?  Whew a hell of a criteria.

Ted wrote previously to Miro:
> > Sorry my friend not at all, as there are assignments many of us work on
> > that it's completely impractical to use any kind of support.  And our
> > pictures are as sharp as any you might do with a monopod or tripod.<<<<<<<<<

And good buddy I still stand behind this comment from 50 years
experience. And I'm still doing it and it still works!

ted

Replies: Reply from "Miro Jurcevic" <miroj@ozemail.com.au> ([Leica] Re: Re: Re: Focusing a 280 F2.8???)
Message from "Miro Jurcevic" <miroj@ozemail.com.au> ([Leica] Re: Focusing a 280 F2.8???)
Message from Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Focusing a 280 F2.8???)