Subject: [Leica] Re: Re: Focusing a 280 F2.8???
From: "Miro Jurcevic" <miroj@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 10:06:30 +1000

The physics are against you all the way. First the mirror goes clunk and
shakes the entire casting. Then in the SLR versions, two shutter curtains
move at hundreds of K's per hour in a fraction of a second. That's enough to
move the camera.

No matter what your human body is doing, the camera body, unless it is M*,
is doing a cha-cha all over the place. The difference only shows above 8' x
10' and then it is a seriuosly limiting factor in image size.

The main factors in the equation ..... (thanks to Rob)
1. Mirror weight
2. Shutter travel - vertical or horizontal
3. Body construction
4. Wind speed - a 1mm movement on the end of your lenses hood is enough to
destroy film grain sharpness
5. Tripod type

Some individuals have gone to the trouble of testing these variables and
looked at the results under a microscope. It is quite evident that cheap,
hand held bodies, with the mirror down shot on a windy day with a long lense
make the worst possible photos.

I used to think that the sound of some cameras was impressive, now I realise
that the sound comes from bits of metal violently colliding into each other.

Miro

Replies: Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Re: Focusing a 280 F2.8???)
Message from "Miro Jurcevic" <miroj@ozemail.com.au> ([Leica] Re: Focusing a 280 F2.8???)
Message from Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Focusing a 280 F2.8???)