Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Focusing a 280 F2.8???
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 11:13:00 -0700

Miro Jurcevic wrote:
><Snip>
> A good hand held shot can make a $6000 photographic system look very cheap
> and nasty.

We had a guy here on the list, Mike Johnson, a few months back who hit us with a
pervasive argument for just the opposite!
Didn't think Tripods had much any place in Leica M photography at all!!
And it seemed a lot of people bought it!
I personally am closer to your school of thought on tripods. But it's your
school of ACTION that counts!

As an experiment I shot a big wedding and never took the Hasselblad off the
tripod. It worked out surprisingly well.
Lots of shots without the damn flash, and so on.
Instead of fighting for a position people make way for you.
But a Leica M invites less tripod use of course
And you don't have to worry about locking up the darn mirror. There ain't none!

I think your single most important piece of equipment is your Tripod, you lens
comes next.
Your camera is an L bracket which attaches your lens to your tripod! :)
With these priorities  you'd think I'd have a fiber Gitzo but I don't yet.
I've got three Gitzo's and a Davis and Sanford RTS, plus a small Cullman 2104.
I've got a Bogen monopod which I've found useless for me. Needs two more legs!!! :)
I've gone through periods where I go around shooting textures with tech film for
months to years and blow them up real big and never take the camera off the darn tripod.
Most people think the opposite but I think a tripod free's you.
Mark Rabiner
use one and you will be free!

Message from "Miro Jurcevic" <miroj@ozemail.com.au> ([Leica] Re: Focusing a 280 F2.8???)