Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica or B+W Filters
From: apbbeijing <apbbeijing@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 21:43:30 +0800

Oh - one thing I forgot to mention is that the most expensive filter I ever
bought was a special order 77mm Käsemann Warm Polariser from B+W which after
waiting 2-3 months arrived and had seperation (small but noticeable). So
whatever preconceived ideas one might have about supreme quality of B+W I
would advise you to check very carefully when you get your hands on the
beasties. I had another polariser (Top Pol) from B+W that seperated after
few years of use but the Käsemann is supposed to be sealed and resistent to
seperation...

Interestingly last time I checked the premium line of Hoya multicoated
filters are more expensive than B+W's in many countries, even Germany, last
time I checked.

B+W have artificially high prices because they have consistently failed to
keep up with demand globally for at least a decade. I suspect Leica make
their own filters nowadays because B+W has proven unreliable as a supplier.
Heliopan makes filters for many of the premium brands (Rodenstock, Rollei,
and others) AFAIK but they too are a small company outgunned by Hoya's
spreadshot approach to marketing.

Hoya, I am told by one of the leading lights in the filter industry, 'know
nothing about filters'. They are part of a conglomerate that produces Kenko
and Tokina filters and no doubt a slew of aftermarket brands (including I
think Calumet's: the only stores to sell uncoated glass filters that I am
aware of).

Remember, gels and polyester filters are not coated, nor are the vast
majority of movie camera filters so the MC obsession is perhaps a little
OTT. A good shade is always a good idea and chances are that if you are
shooting into too much strong light the filter is not the problem...

Rs

Adrian (who has about 150 filters but hates each and every one of them
because they 'get in the way')