Subject: Re: [Leica] The quintessence of Leica photography?
From: John Brownlow <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 13:19:22 -0400

on 26/7/00 12:27 pm, Austin Franklin at austin@darkroom.com wrote:

>> I find your analogy on Digitial music interesting.

I was going to bring this up. I was a serious analog audio anorak...
hundreds of vinyl records. I sniffed at CD when it came out. Slowly I
migrated, to the point that I hardly ever played vinyl any more. When I
moved from the UK I sold all my gear... but not before I had one last play.

Now this was GOOD gear. Quad amp, Kef speakers, Rega turntable, Linn
cartridge.

But it sounded TERRIBLE.

In fact the analog music metaphor is much more complicated and interesting.
I'm a musician too, and modern recording studios are very complex
analog/digital hybrids. Forgive me if I done this before, but let me tell
you the signal path the last notes I played went through (A analog D
digital).

vox organ A --> wah wah A --> marshall amp A --> shure mic A -->
compressor/limiter D --> 70s desk A --> studer 2" A --> (on mixdown) Digital
Reverb D --> joemeek compressor A --> protools D --> CD D

So the signal path is AAAADAADADD. A hybrid.

Just as it is in digital silver photography.

- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com