Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica or B+W Filters
From: "apbbeijing@yahoo.com" <apbbeijing@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 17:01:38 +0800

Hi Robert,

Have you ever managed to dismantle a B+W filter mount? I haven't and neither
has SRB in UK (who make custom filters). The very old chrome Leitz filters
had screw in retaining rings but all the current ones are AFAIK also
permanent and impossible to refit with new glass.

B+W make a big deal about having brass mounts but they also have a range of
aluminium mount filters. My impression is that the mount on current Leica
filters is also aluminium (sure looks like it when the black finish wears
off). The MRC B+W filters are the best on the market IMHO: easily cleaned,
least prone to pick up reflections and consistent colour wise.

As for FLD filters: they are all a compromise but the best approach IME is a
set of gels (reds and magentas and various FLs) and gel snap holder from
Lee. Compact, economical and fits even the weird R mount lenses (19mm
Elmarit, 60mm filter sized ones etc).

> From: Robert Appleby

> The BW mounts are definitely superior. If you want to save money, you can
> always swap out the glass for new Hoya when the B+W glass dies and keep on
> using the B+W mount. Similarly for Leica filter mounts, on lenses where the
> B+W mount seems to cause problems (the 24/2.8M, for instance).

Bests

Adrian

Adrian Bradshaw
Editorial and Corporate Photography