Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica or B+W Filters
From: Shel Belinkoff <belinkoff@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 06:55:38 -0700

Bob Walkden wrote:

> I know this through recent experience of buying a whole new set of filters.
> I looked into Hoya, B+W, Heliopan and Contax filters. As your links show,
> the Heliopans are not available off-the-shelf in multi-coating. In fact,
> your links show that more are available in mc than were when I looked a
> couple of months ago, but still only on special order. B+W on the other hand
> are widely available in MC off the shelf.

Hi Bob ...

This topic has generated into a rather interesting discussion.  FWIW,
thus far all the MC B+W filters I've looked for have had to  be
special ordered, except for the UV and skylight filters.  But the
colored filters have not been in  stock anywhere.

> When I asked the main retailers in the UK (Teamwork Photographic) of
> Heliopan filters why the filters were not mc they told me that it was
> because the mc filters were more easily scratched and marked than the
> standard ones.

I can't speak to Heliopan, but B+W states that their coatings are very
strong and not easily damaged.  They also claim that their filters are
easier to clean compared to Brand X.  My own experience confirms that
it is easier to clean a B+W MrC filter than it is a multi-coated Hoya.

Cheers,
- --
Shel Belinkoff
mailto:belinkoff@earthlink.net