Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica or B+W Filters
From: "Bob Walkden" <bobwalkden@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 02:02:20 BST

Hi,

I know this through recent experience of buying a whole new set of filters.
I looked into Hoya, B+W, Heliopan and Contax filters. As your links show,
the Heliopans are not available off-the-shelf in multi-coating. In fact,
your links show that more are available in mc than were when I looked a
couple of months ago, but still only on special order. B+W on the other hand
are widely available in MC off the shelf.

I have not specifically tested the difference between Heliopan double-coated
filters and B+W multicoated filters, and I doubt that I have the ability or
equipment to be able to make or judge such a test. However, I note that
Heliopan give a number for the amount of reflection that their double-coated
filters remove - 50% - yet they do not give a number for the multicoated
filters. B+W otoh give a figure of > 99% iirc for the reflections eliminated
by their mc filters.

When I asked the main retailers in the UK (Teamwork Photographic) of
Heliopan filters why the filters were not mc they told me that it was
because the mc filters were more easily scratched and marked than the
standard ones.

Cheers,

Bob