Subject: Re: [Leica] home b&w processing
From: "M.E.Berube - GoodPhotos" <meb@goodphotos.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 16:22:41 -0400

I understand the "don't go it on the cheap" philosophy Mark. Putting it
into actual implementation in my real life is an entirely different matter.

I (and I imagine that I'm not entirely alone on a list of 700+) am still at
the point in my photo life where I don't have all the quality Leica glass
that I need. I do have a few lesser alternatives that will get me by as I
save for the good stuff, but my photo budget is such that I have to build
one piece at a time and set priorities. Obtaining the best possible image
characteristics that I look for on film is my first priority. I probably
went a bit backwards starting out but I got Leica bodies and two older
Leitz lenses first. One is an odd focal length (though I like the 40/2
Summicron-C) and the other (LTM 9cm/4 Elmar) was a slow and inexpensive
make due. They were an exact fit for the CL, but my M5 is capable of a
better range. I am making due with some non-leitz LTM glass until I can
afford better quality glass. I will also have to make do with the lesser
cost digital conversion equipment until I can afford the quality stuff. All
in that order.

I had been kicking around the idea of broaching the Leica SLR field after
all the favourable talk about the SL's and R's on LUG, but for now I am
still very happy with my 'small m' minoltas when I need s0mething other
than an M. I have very little call for Medium Format anymore so the Yashica
Mat124G suffices quite well for any call that I do get. Other than the
fixed lens, I like it as well as the 500CM that I used to use. (And I can
always borrow a full RB67 ProS outfit that I used to own from the friend to
whom I sold it if I have to go beyond the 124G.)

It took me 30 years to learn any patience at all, otherwise I'd be
completely insane by now. As long as all acquisitions move me closer to the
eventual goal while allowing me to still take photographs, I have to be
happy with that.

Carpe Luminem,
Michael E. Berube

Message from "M.E.Berube - GoodPhotos" <meb@goodphotos.com> (Re: [Leica] home b&w processing)