Subject: [Leica] (Was Political Correctness) Finding things out
From: "Peter Choy" <pmcchoy@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 23:12:30 -0700

   ------------------------------

   Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 13:40:45 +0100
   From: "Tim Spragens" <t.spragens@cityweb.de>
   Subject: [Leica] Re: Political correctness
   Peter Choy passed on Sean Kernan's
   > The story is told that when Mondrian was young he did some paintings
   > over his old canvases. When a friend pointed out that he was wasting
   > perfectly saleable canvases, he said, "I'm not trying to make
   > paintings, I'm trying to find things out."

   Wonderful story! I can't find the reference right now, but one
   photographer had in a signature a quote, I think it was from one of
   the WPA photographers, that working with a camera was learning
   to see. If anyone has the proper quote and attribute, I'd appreciate
   having it.

Tim,

I'm not familiar with the quote you refer to, but I seem to recall
that Gary Winogrand made a similar remark, to the effect that the
reason he took pictures was to "find out what things looked like".

Rgds,
Peter.