Subject: RE: [Leica] Kodachrome Labs
From: "Bergman, Mark A." <mabergm@nppd.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 14:45:49 -0500

I was always under the impression that Kodachrome processing was a tightly
controlled process done with Kodak chemicals and Kodak equipment and
therefore it shouldn't matter who does the actual processing (since it is
all identical).  Unlike E6 I don't believe you can overuse the chemicals or
change processing times or other variables.  Back in the 60's (50's??) Kodak
faced an anti-trust action by the government because only Kodak could
process the film (you had to buy film and processing together).  The
solution was for Kodak to sell the equipment and chemicals to other
companies but maintain strict control over the equipment and chemicals; they
also started selling the film without processing.