Subject: Re: [Leica] Contax N1 + Photokina hopes
From: "apbbeijing@yahoo.com" <apbbeijing@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 12:27:59 +0800

I understand that Contax SLR sales have been stagnant for at least a couple
of years and that the only way forward for Kyocera was to retool for AF. To
me the N1 reminds me of Kyocera's other AF SLR: some Yashica monstrosity
which was neither particularly innovative nor successful (pretty much saw
off the old Yashica SLR line). Like the Yashica the new Contax AF slr has
only a nominal system and looks more like a taster than a fully supported
effort.

For that matter the market for the manual focus Contax SLRs never seemed to
get big enough to encourage Zeiss to develop a modern set of long lenses,
nor fast zooms. Yes I know they make a 300/2.8 and even a prototype 600/4
but they are no more than design exercises IMHO, like the earlier N-Mirotar,
and long fast mirror lenses.

I suspect the 17-35 (and the digital N1) will only see the light of day if
the market for the N1 proves strong...

Let's see if Leica has any more exciting offerings at Photokina. My money is
on at least one new M50mm, perhaps the 1.4 in ASPH and maybe an R wide zoom
or new 24R. Maybe a 90 APO for R and even a 135 APO for R too. I would like
to see a 1.4 converter for shorter lenses (and the 70-180/80-200). A decent
flash for R (with high voltage powerpack option) would be good too
(something like Canons 550EX or Nikons SB28 or whatever they are on now).

For Leica to move into MF would seem to me a dumb move when the R system
needs more investment. A new mechanical body would be great - and let's hope
it can be small and not built on the chassis of the R8.

Let's see...

Rs

Adrian

- --