Subject: Re: [Leica] Political Correctness
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 16:53:56 -0700

Tina Manley wrote:
> The Project Workshop in Santa Fe with Sam Abell was very good.  Sam is a
> wonderful teacher; however, I learned something that was both enlightening
> and disturbing.
>
> My project is "Las Familias" - an exhibit (possibly book) of my photographs
> of Honduran families.  I learned that many galleries will not accept my
> project because it is politically incorrect -<<<<<<<<<<<  SNIP:

Hi Tina,
I've had a problem with this "political correctness" garbage
since the dumb ass politicians and their back room boys invented it to
garner votes from unsuspecting voters who could neither read nor write.

Of course today it has been hooked on by every bleeding heart
organization in the western world to increase their "caring image."  But
in reality the
injustices of one human being over another are rarely corrected by those
who are masters at using the political correct image to enhance their
cause.  In the end merely making a
noise and accomplishing nothing,  other than making the bleeding hearts
look good!

I'm not saying there aren't injustices in the world, however when
"political correctness" begins to stifle self expression and learning
by others, is this in itself not a form of "politically incorrect"
censorship?

Example.   Publishers and gallery owners who wish to bury (read censor)
your extremely fine photojournalism recording the lives  of people who
exist in a different manor than themselves,
 IE: publishers comfortable western living, compared to the realities of
life in lesser countries.  Are they not doing an injustice to society by
not giving gallery space so others may learn what the world is like
across the sea.?

I'm always surprised when people whom I assume are well educated fall on
the "political correctness" as a form of doing good, when in reality
they are no more educated than some of people in your photographs.

Is it not through your photography that many hundreds, nay, thousands of
viewers will learn the hardships of these poor farmers?  Publishers
and gallery owners who wish to present a sterile and washed hands view
of the world are as phony as plastic and are more concerned about
"their own political correct image" than  helping to create assistance
for the
peons through your photographs.

When you get this bleeding heart crap shoved in your face,  walk away,
pay no heed, as it comes from some of the most cold hearted people
around trying to make themselves look good with concern for others.
Quite frankly, many of them are more emotionally concerned about their
money than for the good of others.

Waste not a moment of thought over this, as you've too many images to
take without  mental diversion created by morons!  Please go on as
though you were never confronted with this "political correct" nonsense,
as you've brought the world a view of life that many have never
experienced nor would wish to.   Just do it Tina, show no fear!

It's good to see the LUG family generally in unison over this matter.
Good on you all!
ted

 I am a photographer from the