Subject: [Leica] Leica R-3
From: Richard Palmer <vicmalta@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 01:09:07 -0400

Somebody recently stated that, "The collected opinion is that the R-3 is
an unreliable
camera and is astronomical to repair". May I humbly ask the collected
opinion of who?
 As many luggers know, the R-3 was based on the Minolta XE-7. They share
the same
chassis and Leitz-Copal shutter. Also, the film advance gear train. The
R-3 has a diferent metering
system and mirror box; and black chrome top plates and body covers.  I
had the opportunity to
use the XE-7 when they were new through an employer. I thought it was a
nice solid camera
and when the R-3 came out  it was even better thus my entry into the
R-system.  A paw in the
film advance ratchet wes replaced by an indepentent repair shop afer
many years of use. The
shop with whom I have delt with for many years told me the many of the
internal parts could be
had from Minolta for much less money than from Leitz. Perhaps a repair
person with Minolta
X sereies experience could be an alternative solution to affordable R-3
service.

Rich Palmer