Subject: [Leica] Re:optical excellence and the human error factor
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 18:27:56 +0000

Pascal,

While I appreciate the thoughtfulness of your post about SuperAutomated
cameras being able to nail more pix, given the absence of the human
error factor, you are right in certain instances, such as dealing with
flash fill, maybe metering (even that is doubtful).  Or especially
wildly changing subject movement (composition control), or exposure.

Otherwise, maybe.  The ultimate quality of the lens (quality in this
case referring to optical charactertistics of sharpness, contrast,
color, and (this is my personal favorite quality of a Leica lens) flare
control.  A lens with a flater, less sharp, less contrasty, poorer color
rendition to start with can only degrade more under adverse shooting
conditions (which is usually the conditions under which more interesting
photos are made.  So why not start with top quality??

An image with less flare and more highlight and shadow detail may
survive the cut where a lesser quality image (speaking optics here, not
content) would not.

If I had a complaint about the two lenses you mentioned, the 70-180 and
the 35-70 (both of which I lust for) it is that the two ring system is
couter productive with a MF lens.  You cannot flow with the composition,
but have to change hand positions and then return to focusing.  With AF
you can leave one hand on the focal length ring, and depend on AF to
handle focusing.  In rapidly changing situations, this is a problem.  I
have kept my older Nikon 80-200 because it is push pull and I prefer to
MF.  In my opinion, Leica made a poor design decision, given their MF
limitation.

Beyond all this, an amateur with little experience with a F5 on program
will probably do pretty well, technically.  But with a seasoned
professional, this is less a problem.  Pros get pretty good at
outthinking the camera.  Witness the wedding folks with their Hassys and
bronicas.  I spoke with one of the highest priced, best quality wedding
shooters in San Diego on Friday and they use Hassy even for the party
candids, not being able to tolerate the quality loss of 35mm.  Their
goal was to just as good as 35, but use 6x6.

donal

donal

- --
Donal Philby