Subject: [Leica] Re: LHSA M6 Question/Complaint (!!!)
From: Robert Jagitsch <robertj@powerlogix.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 19:36:00 -0500

I wish to express gratitude to the many luggers who emailed me
privately about this issue, and to those that expressed their
opinions publicly on the LUG.

Although being branded a whiner was one of the risks of bringing this
topic to the forefront, I don't really care. To me it's much better
to speak up and risk criticism than not. Too many people nowadays, it
seems, are unwilling to take a stand on things.

To be sure, we aren't talking tragedy, treason, or travesty here. But
on the other hand, the Leica brand has always stood for quality and
excellence. Any organization that has been authorized to use the name
"Leica" in its name should also operate to the same high level of
quality. And when errors in judgement or lack of forethought occur,
it should be a simple task to admit it and move on. It might be a
much bigger task to come up with a plan to even the field; it might
even be impossible, considering all the variables. But this doesn't
obviate the requirement of admitting the original error.

This program was just plain botched. LHSA was not forward-thinking
enough to see how it would affect each and every purchaser, both the
existing ones and the potential ones. LHSA should admit that they
botched it. The realities of covering the LHSA's butt (having to pay
for 200 cameras that weren't yet sold) shouldn't come at the expense
of proven, cash paying customers.  If LHSA doesn't admit the error,
they are just following the lead of our many modern politicians who
would rather spin things than face the issues directly.

Frankly, I really don't think I want to be a member of an
organization that can't admit its own error or leadership that is
seemingly so enamored of ego and position to do so. Accountability
matters. Credibility matters. Character matters.

(As an aside, I'm a member of another American club based on a German
brand. The Porsche Club of America. A club with true leadership, and
one in which I'm proud to be a member.)

It is a big PR mistake for the leadership to skirt the real issue and
instead talk about how great the sales were. As if LHSA were somehow
responsible. In reality the dealer channel is who deserves the
credit. And there were probably more than a few people who don't give
a flip about LHSA, they just happened to miss out on the Millenium
issue, and this was the next best thing (for less money.) Plus they
got an M4 rewind. :)

It was refreshing to hear from the many people who wholeheartedly
agree with my previously posted thoughts on the subject.

Your emails of positive support are very much appreciated. And to
those that think this is a trivial deal, we can agree to disagree,
but thanks for your comments as well.

Best Regards and may your rangefinder never need adjustment,
Robert

Message from Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com> ([Leica] Re: LHSA M6 Question/Complaint (!!!))
Message from Robert Jagitsch <robertj@powerlogix.com> ([Leica] Re: LHSA M6 Question/Complaint (!!!))
Message from "Tom Schofield" <tdschofield@email.msn.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: LHSA M6 Question/Complaint (!!!))