Subject: Re: [Leica] 280mm f/2.8
From: Harrison McClary <harrison@mcclary.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 00:46:46 -0500

>Has anyone seen, handled, bought and/or used a 280mm f/2.8. If so, how is it
>. . . besides big?
>
>Thanks,
>
>--Gib

An incredible piece of glass.  The best long lens in its range, 300
2.8, I have used.  I have used the Nikon, and Canon ones. And it aint
that big, now a 400 2.8, that is big and heavy.  I used to shoot my
300 2.8's with a pistol grip almost always hand held, never do that
with my 400 2.8 though - it is just too damn big.

Back when I was shooting Nikon gear I rented a 280 2.8 and shot some
test chrome films with both the Nikon and Leica lens.  the test
images were of my then wife with our dog.  The dog had black fur.  On
the Nikon the fur was black, no detail.   On the Leica there was
detail in the fur.  Adding the teleconverter did not degrade the
image any that I could discern.

If you have found a good used one and are thinking of getting it and
have a use for it don't hesitate, it is a great lens and handles very
well.
- --
Harrison McClary
http://www.mcclary.net