Subject: Re: [Leica] Metering anomaly on M6 TTL with Noctilux
From: Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 11:27:47 +0100

Simon,

I had a somewhat similar problem some time ago although not with a
Noctilux. I turned out to be the battery, it was getting very low and the
little red arrows took much longer than normal to react. I had the camera
on a tripod, and I was much quicker changing the shutter speed than the
aperture (or the other way round). Initially, the result was that one
aperture stop was not (__immediately__) offset by one shutter stop the
other way, at least not if one was to believe the red arrows. After a
couple of seconds it was back to normal, but I was not used to there being
any delay at all and I was utterly confused. I tried out my second body and
had no problem, and then realized it was the battery tha caused the
problem. I have to admit thought, that the more likely solution to your
problem  is the one below.

Chris

>I have noticed something strange with the metering on my M6 when using a
>Noctilux.  In order to explain in as few words as possble I will use the
>following symbols to show the symbols that are present in the viewfinder:  >
>o <
>
>I was intending to take a picture at f/1 and at 1/60 second the viewfinder
>reading was  > o  (1/2 stop underexposure)
>As I was at f/1 I set the shutter speed to 1/30 second and the viewfinder
>reading was  o <  (1/2 stop overexposure, as you would expect)
>
>I assumed that if I rotated the aperture ring to the 1/2 stop between f/1
>and f/1.4 I would get a viewfinder reading of  o  (correct exposure), but
>what I got was still  o <  (1/2 stop underexposure).
>
>I has to set an aperture of f/1.4 before I got a viewfinder reading of  o
>(correct exposure).
>
>It appears that instead of f/1 at 1/60 second being the same as f/1.4 at
>1/30 second it is actually an additional 1/2 stop.  This is not in general a
>major issue as 1/2 stop in many cases is barely noticeable, but I wondered
>if anyone else had noticed this happening.  However, I was using Scala
>pushed to 400 and 800 and the 1/2 stop does make a difference.  I am using
>an M6 .85 TTL with the Noctilux.
>
>Simon

- --
Christer Almqvist