Subject: [Leica] 1st 6 Months with a leica!!
From: J Vaughan <sthawk_ontheroad@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 11:10:25 -0700 (PDT)

HEY I just got out of the darkroom  after being there for the better
part of 4 days and soon to go back for more...
 I bought my M6 in Dec of 99 its my first leica.. I bought my lens in
April of 2000... And promptly returned the 3 summicron I had
stolen/borrowed from a friend. So here are some observations about
Leicas.. they are true for me and  I thought they might at least
entertain the rest of you.

1. Just because you look through the viewfinder and things look in
focus that doesn't mean they are.
   A) Idiot placed finger over rangefinder window
   B) Idiot was in a hurry and didn't realize the images didn't line up
   C) said idiot has used SLRs for over 20 years and  when I looked
through the viewfinder in lowlight I couldn't/didn't notice that things
weren't in focus.
   D) I believe this is where the term Bokeh comes in...
2) I regret to say that I don't  like my Summicron at f2 though its
still nice looking at 2.8
3) I wish I had purchased the camera 6 months before I had. Most of the
photos I shot of my grandfather were in lowlight and with  the leica.
I'd purchased it to be unobtrusive and I got a few (10?) keepers but
thats all there are.... Using a rangefinder takes practice...
4) Using a rangefinder takes practice
   a) the meter works best in subdued light... or seeems to 4am or pm
but at noon ick... or maybe its the lens?
   b) its small I almost dropped it once..
   c) the finish scratches easy.. I don't care really  (unless Shery is
right and I am going to want another M5)
5) when My  M5 is done being re-encarnated by Sherry I will post some
mental  notes on it...

Jeremy Vaughan
33yo first camera at 7, first Nikon at 16, Frst Leica at 33