Subject: Re: [Leica] summitar performance at f2
From: "Dan S" <dstate1@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 19:24:54 GMT

The Summitar and earlier Summar will have noticably reduced resolution at
the edges at wider apertures.  It's hard to say if your lens is working
normally since everybody has their own idea of "poor".

In Summitars that I have used the resolution was good across the field by f
4.5...Wide open they are somewhat soft.  Is it possible to post some of your
test shots on the Leica Users Community? While a computer screen doesn't
show everything I think the F2-f5.6 differences would be easily observable.

The 90 Elmar f4 was a great wide open performer...With little improvement
past 5.6.  Just one of the blessings of a slow simple design.

Best Wishes
Dan States