Subject: [Leica] summitar performance at f2
From: "Jan C. Schuller" <schuller@pharma.unizh.ch>
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 16:08:12 +0200

Hello everybody,
recently I started to use a Summitar 50/2 with a iiic. While producing a
series of shots at different f-stops, I noticed that at f2 - f5.6 the
sharpness in the edges of the image is rather poor. However, it increases
with increasing f value and is ok from f5.6 to f8 onwards. I know that the
performance of those lenses is not comparable to contemporary ones. However
I'd like to know to what extent the low edge performance is 'normal' for
the summitar. (I also own a 90/4 Elmar where the edges are ok regardless at
any given f-stop).
I'm thankful for hints of all kinds.
Yours
Jan