Subject: [Leica] Re: LTM basics
From: Ken Wilcox <wilcox@tir.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 20:47:16 -0400

Tim, I'll try to help you out here.

>OK, I'm getting to know my IIIc, and have some really basic questions:
>- What sort of adapter do I need to mount this on my 1/4-20 tripod, or
>don't I want to do that for some reason?  Can I get a suitable bushing
>from my local hardware store?

You need a 3/8 - 1/4 20 tpi bushing. You can get it from a camera store bur
only a very good hardware would have them.

>- Likewise, can I get a cable release?  I see no way to attach one.

Two options. 1. Buy anold cable release made for LTM cameras (or
rangefinder Nikons) or 2. Get a release adapter from you camera store and
use a standard release.

>- When using the "T" shutter speed setting (so far for loading film
>only) - how am I supposed to close the shutter?  Winding the camera
>seems to do it, but that's kind of crude...

Move the shutter speed dial back to 1 second.

>- I'm told there's a way to synchronize an electronic flash with an
>adapter which fits onto the shutter-speed dial.  What's this called,
>and does it really work? (albeit at 1/20 or 1/30 sec?)

Many different brands. Most consist of a piece that slips into the shoe and
has a synch terminal on it. Another piece fits on the shutter speed dial
and has a cam on it. When the dial spins, the cam hit the switch on the
other piece and triggers the flash. Yes it does work and very well.

>- Can I use a Zeiss-based universal finder on the IIIc?  I realize the
>true Zeiss finder (which I have, sigh) will cover my shutter speed
>dial, but I have the opportunity to trade it for a better-condition
>Russian version which would seem to work, unless there's some parallax
>or alignment or shoe problem I'm not considering.

AFAIK it should work just fine. The Leica BL finders work much better.

>Thanks for the help.

You're welcome.

Ken Wilcox

- ----