Subject: Re: [Leica] Screw mount in the modern world
From: "Peter A. Klein" <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 12:37:40 -0700

Thanks for your suggestions, Dan.

>If the vision problems are really a big issue than forget about getting ANY
>manual focus camera.  If the M-3 is not good enought the  Bessa will make
>your eyes fall out.

What I was referring to here was that the "eye relief" of the M3 is
generally not high enough for glasses wearers--you can't see the entire
50mm frame.  I also like the 35mm focal length, and would prefer to use a
lens without the extra "eyes."  So if I get an M, I'd likely get an M2, M4
or M6.  My vision is such that I can focus *any* M a lot more quickly,
comfortably and accurately than I can an SLR.  This doesn't matter so much
for bright light, outdoor pictures.  It matters a lot for the kind of
"people pictures" I like to take.

The Bessa R viewfinder/rangefinder has gotten rave reviews.  Because of the
shorter base, you probably wouldn't want to focus a 90/f:2 with it. But it
might be good for the 35 and 50mm lenses.

>The fact that you have owned Leica's for so long says to me that you care
>about the quality of your equipment.  Going to a cheapo rangefinder from an
>off brand manufacturer will probably be a short term high, but not satifying
>over the long haul.

That's certainly something to consider.  One the Bessa R would do is lock
me in to screw mount lenses, whereas an M can take either M or LTM lenses
with the proper adapter.  Then again, one could buy a lens or two with the
price difference between the Bessa and an M.

>Get an M, get a diopter correction lens.  Get a used Summicron 35 and 50.
>Be blown away by the results.  Life is too short to use cheap cameras.

As for the Summicrons, that's what I'd like to do if I can reconcile the
cost.  Thanks again.

- --- Peter