Subject: Re: [Leica] Screw mount in the modern world
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 13:43:24 -0700

Peter-
Let me toss about my two cents worth-
If your dealer is amenable, and will let you try different lenses, do it and
decise which gives you the look you want!
For me, one of the best deals I ever got was an almost mint Elmar 50/3,5,
coated and very clean. IT is superb, and it's sharpness would rival the
Summicron at the same apertures- and since it is great for handheld shot-
the difference is usually not detectable if printed at 8x10!
Sure- some people regard the Summar as a chrome plated turd, but I miss mine
and regret selling it. It is indeed 'soft' and the contrast isn't all that
great, but it sure makes the middle aged ladies I associate with lok good as
does the old uncoated Elmar 90/4 from 1933!!!
I use an M as well- and though I'd probably do something sinful to get a
Noctilux, I settle for the Summicron- and when it gets dark, I have a very
nice Summarit that I actually like better than the Summilux I sold!
The wonderful thing about Leica is that if you play around, you will find
that they have made, over their long history, so many wonderful lenses, that
you will be able to find something that suits your photographic vision.
I am not denigrating the new stuff- I saw slides that a LUGger took at the
Sisteine Chapel, using a new 75 Summilux aspheric. The results were
stunning! But I shoot people, and the ability to resolve the pores in the
nose can detract from the overall character of an interesting visage!
Sure- listen to suggestions, but don't count anything out- try it, you may
like something that someone else hates!
Good luck in your 'quest'! and best of light to you while you do it!!
Dan ( weird sorta dude....) Post