Subject: [Leica] Elmarit 90mm vs Hexanon-M 90mm
From: Gaifana@aol.com
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 15:46:41 EDT

Can someone who has used either or both of these 90mm lenses tell me about
their shooting characteristics?  I currently use an 85/2 Nikkor, 85/2 Jupiter
and 105/2.5 Nikkor, and I would like to continue with the same overall "look"
but in a more compact, more modern form that can share a common set of
filters with my Hexar AF.  I have ruled out the APO Summicron because it is
too big, too heavy, and the focusing is too linear (as opposed to snappy).

The two 90mm f/2.8 lenses seem to be identical in size, weight, layout,
materials, solidity, coatings, and focusing speed.  The Leica is about twice
as expensive ($1095 vs 550), so I am wondering if there is anything exotic
about the performance (both lenses, in three of the tests I have seen, scored
very closely).  The only difference seems to be the optical construction,
which for the Leica has four elements and generally looks like the 1950s 85mm
Nikkors and the Konica, which has five elements in a  classic Ernostar/Sonnar
pattern.

Any ideas?

One other thing: is it normal with Solms lenses to have trauma around the
screholes?  I noticed on the Elmarit-M that there were pinpoints around the
screws that held the focusing grip.  Maybe someone got careless during
assembly?

Dante Stella
gaifana at aol dot com