Subject: [Leica] "Is this a Leica Convention?"
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 07:58:03 -0700

Hi Gang,
Well here's a new one for "spotting Leicas!"

During the Canada Day Celebration Saturday, Sandy and  I were working
the celebration for my Leica Seminar, she with 2 M6's, me with two R8's,
35-70, 280 with 1.4 X and an M6 around my neck, Noctilux.

As usual one rarely sees another Leica in a big crowd, when we were
pleasantly surprised coming along was an old lad pushing a stroller
walker and a IIIC hanging on his neck, My first thought was "Good on you
for getting out in this crowd to take some happy snaps at whatever your
age!"

Well he spotted us with all our gear and a great big smile came across
his face. He wheeled right over,  "You folks must be pros with all that
Leica stuff, nice to meet another Leica person!" Held out his hand and
we shook it firmly!  He was 85 years old and had this camera since he
bought it new away back when, he figured it worked as good as the day he
got it, as the pictures "always turned out real good!"  And it had never
been serviced.

He couldn't remember how many rolls he shot, but still took a few frames
every week or so even at this age.  And when the roll was finished the
people at the old folks home where he stayed took the film into, "one of
them new fangled 1 hour places for his prints!"

So when it was the big Day for Canadians he thought he'd get some nice
celebration snaps as he didn't figure he'd be around for too many more
Canada Day's!

We wished him well as he shuffled off into the crowd where he stopped
every once in awhile to steady himself on the walker with one hand,
lifting the camera with the other to look through the viewfinder, then
quickly reaching up to shoot!  Man when I'm that old I sure hope I have
the where with all to hit the crowd and shuffle along making happy
snaps. :-)

And here I am referring to myself as the "old fart!"  Hell, I'm just a
young lad with Leicas compared to this old fella!   So hang on folks
there's hope for us all yet! :-)
ted

Replies: Reply from "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] "Is this a Leica Convention?")