Subject: RE: [Leica] Re : Nachtwey's Capas, >> >Salgados, Evans, etc
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 11:52:44 -0400

It's really pretty scary to see someone equate the work of those
photographers with the public's penchant to go to violent movies or slow
down at car wrecks. Most people, in fact, DON'T want to look at the work of
a Nachtwey because it's too painful, too real.

There is an enormous difference between a photographer documenting man's
inhumanity to man in order that we confront it, and a movie maker producing
pretend gore and mayhem because it sells. What is both depressing and
dangerous is confusing the reality and the fantasy.