Subject: Re: [Leica] Fwd: Lizard Skin Leica
From: john <bosjohn@mediaone.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 00:46:57 +0100

John Collier wrote:

> The serial number (not always reliable) would indicate that it is a IIIa. If
> the chap is wondering if he has a Luxus, I am afraid not. We would have to
> see pictures but virtually all of these enquiries involve polished brass
> Russian fakes. This is not to say that it could not be a Leica. Leica
> themselves, and others, would do custom work for high paying customers.
>
> John Collier
>
> > From: Michael Bell <mbell@mail.utexas.edu>
> >
> > Can someone help this person out?

> >> From: WJ9674@cs.com
> >> Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 12:31:36 EDT
> >> Subject: Information
> >> To: mbell@mail.utexas.edu
> >> would you have any information on an old Leica model number 257372
> >> A gold range finder model finished in lizard skin.
> >> I would be interested in the age and whether it is a commemorative model

Ah yes, there is a wonderful story about such folk, if you can forgive a
somewhat longish post.  My father, bless his black collector's heart, had a
bad habit of having his Leicas gold plated and lizard skinned. My brother and
I barely spoke to him for committing such sac relig.
About fourteen years ago, I discovered the PHSNE camera show, then in
Watertown, Ma. When I went to my very first show I had two Leica M cameras,
and M-2 and an M-3.  Silly me, I wanted a matched pair.  M-2s being worth more
in those days made me decide to trade my M-2 for a nice M-3. Being a total
green horn to the show, I had no idea that by the time the general public got
in all the good stuff had been snapped up by the professional buyers.  I went
from table to table trying to trade my lovely M-2 for an equally lovely M-3
with and was always greeted with variations on the " All gone, just sold them
to the Japanese gents" theme. Well now, I have nothing against Japanese, or
anyone else for that matter, but I was a bit pissed that dealers and other
special people got in early leaving slim pickings for we normal mortals.

After the first day of the sale, I went home with my tail between my legs and
that evening at work ( At that time I worked in the closest hotel to the show)
I noticed two elderly Japanese gentlemen entering the hotel with two luggage
carriers stacked high with boxes overflowing with tell tale leather straps
unmistakably Leica. I, being forward, sidled up and said "My you have a lot of
Leicas there."  He allowed as how he did and we got into a great conversation
about Leicas and the show.  Seems he was one of the major Japanese buyers.  I
asked him about trading my M-2 for one of his M-3s, but after examining my
camera, he said as he did not have one nice enough, but would keep an eye out
for one at the show the next day. He was a very knowledgeable and a gentleman,
a very nice guy.

The next day at the show I bumped into him several times, but, alas there were
no nice M-3s to be had.  It was close to the end of the show when I spied what
was a collector's Leica, it had to be, it was the only camera on an eight foot
table. It was perched majestically on some red silk and a dweeb with a suite
and tie hovering  behing the tabe. It was an M-P.  I noticed the Japanese
fellow there looking at the camera.  I admit I was still a little peeved that
I could not get a nice M-3 because all the dealers and early birds snapped
them up. I decided I would have a bit of fun and play a joke of sorts on the
Japanese guy and the dweeb behind the table.  I edged closer and examined the
camera and announced to all that it was redundant.  "What! Redundant?" bleated
the dweeb. "Of course" said I, "It has two rapid wind levers, and lord knows
any normal camera only needs one". "Oh, but this is a very rare collector's
camera." said the dweeb trying to collect his dignity.  I noticed the Japanese
guy was right there and listening now.  To the dweeb I said " Well I might not
be interested, but my Sainted father, who is a collector, might be, let me
have your card and I will send it to him."  I now had everyone's attention.
After a brief pause I said " On second thought I better not" and gave him back
his card. " My old man does terrible things to cameras, he commits unspeakable
acts on them by sending them to some guy in Japan who adorns them with gold
plate and lizard skinne. He will surely go to hell for such an act." I figured
now I had put everyone in their place and was pleased with the stunned silence
from the small crowed.  While savoring my coup the Japanese gent tugged at my
sleeve. "Sir, is your dad a doctor in Minnesota?"  Wow, boy this guy is
something. How the hell could he possibly know this.  I was getting a bit
nervous by now. "Eh er well, ok, yes he is." " I am the guy who put the gold
plate and lizard skin on his cameras"  Oh well, if there was a hole to crawl
into I hoped I could find it soon.

When I told my pa the story, he dutifully chuckled and then demanded the card
so he could go after the M-P.
John Shick