Subject: [Leica] San Diego (Gary's faux pas)
From: Gary Elshaw <gary.elshaw@vuw.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 01:09:19 +1200

Hey Harrison,

I just read Jim's message, and for the first time in 20 years, i'm
blushing. To both you and Donal, my sincereist of apologies, i feel
truly awful.

>Sounds like you had an "interesting" trip.  Reminds me of something
>someone once told me, there is an old Chinese curse, "May you live in
>interesting times."  Your time in SD sure would meet that curse!

It's a great curse that one. Luckily, the conference i was there for
was good. A mixture of hard-core academics, and folks writing about
really wacky stuff. I'm making this one up, but some of it was stuff
like "References to bananas in the lyrics of Jimi Hendrix' 1966
songs". I couldn't wait to leave SD in the end, but i would like to
reverse the feeling i got about the place and see a little more than
California next time. The level of folks without homes REALLY freaked
me out. I handed out a lot of cigarettes and change while in the U.S.

It was probably a good thing i didn't phone you at 3 AM from San
Diego asking you to come and pick me up, huh? :-)

Lots of apologies to both of you.
Humbly, humbly,
Gary

At 12:01 AM -0700 28/6/2000, Harrison wrote:

>I'd be glad to put you up...but....I live in Nashville, Tennessee,
>the other side of the continent form San Diego.  I think you have me
>and Donal Philby mixed up, Donal lives in San Diego.

- --

"The difficulty now is that unexceptional adults believe the loss of
youthful dreaming is itself "growing up," as though adulthood were
the passive conclusion to a doomed activity and hope during
adolescence."

OO             The Uses of Disorder
[_]<|          Personal Identity and City Life -- Richard Sennett
  /|\
Gary Elshaw
Post-Grad Film Student
Victoria University