Subject: RE: [Leica] sprintscan 4000 v. LS 2000
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 08:49:05 -0700

I've just made this choice - upgrading from an HP S20.

I chose the SS4000, and the main reason was the extra resolution enabling
greater magnification/cropping.

As you note, the Dmax is essentially identical.  The Polaroid's focus bug
has been fixed in the software - I believe the fix is in the latest release
of v3.5 of the Insight driver, and v4.2 is also available on the web.  I
also have Ed Hamrick's VueScan software (http://www.hamrick.com).  He's the
guy who identified and fixed the focus bug in the first place (kudos to
Polaroid for following up on his work).

If you don't need batch slide scanning I believe the Polaroid offers better
overall scan quality.  This is not based on comparos I've done myself, but
from a bunch of web research.  For a good example of the relative scan
quality of the two units, take a look at
http://www.users.uswest.net/~rnclark/scandetail.htm

There's credible review info at
http://luminous-landscape.com/digital1.htm
http://www.cix.co.uk/~tsphoto/tech/filmscan/pol4000/pol4000.htm