Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Film - freeze or cool?
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 10:36:45 -0700

I too have frozen fim for over 25 years, and the only caveat that I recall
was a note from Kodak that freezing does not seem to stop the natural
'aging' of film if it is the tablature grain type, the so called "T-grain"
film. This was right after the emulsion were first introduced years ago, but
I have not read anything like that since!
Otherwise, freezing will nearly stop film from aging out or changing its
sensitivity as I have also used film as much as 5 years past its date, and
had no problem.... every once in a while some gets loose and lost in the
freezer!!
It is almost mandatory to freeze infrared film, I  found; I sometimes buy
more than I need and I have used infra-red that was out of date by as mouch
as 18 months with no deleterious effect!
BTW- hydrocarbon fumes can fog film- film and loaded cameras should be kept
away from exposure to exhaust fumes (car trunks?), natural gas fumes,
gasoline fumes, formalin, and most any noxious fumes, it seems!
Dan ( Remember- Flatus is hazardous to your film's health!) Post

Replies: Reply from "Craig Roberts" <croberts@zoomtel.com> (Re: [Leica] DIY Rangefinder adjustments)